As technology rapidly evolves and the platforms used to get information change and evolve with it – community engagement and accessibility take on a whole new life. Before, public forums were much less accessible, and people turned to traditional media such as the news or newspapers to have information relayed to them. Now, people have the ability to find and curate their media experiences, and in turn, curate their communities and the way they engage with it. The reading from this week described this phenomenon by saying, “For the first time in modern democracies, public media will be media both for and by the public. While such media may look and function differently from public service broadcasting, it will share the same goals as those that preceded it: educating, informing, and mobilizing users.” (Clark, Aufderheide: 56). Although traditional media still exists, more and more people are engaging in this media that is by and for the public; turning to places such as Twitter for live updates and uncensored information. Because of this, social media helps engage community-

Credit: AP Photo Creator: Charlie Riedel

based communications as it is more within reach. Creating a dialogue with the person who wrote the newspaper article, or the expert on TV are not easy ways to reach someone. However, replying or messaging someone on social media to ask questions, agree, disagree, or just have a civil discussion is as easy as a click of the button. However, the way it challenges community-based communications is that it makes it easy to stay within your own bubble. In traditional media, many different opinions or different takes are being presented, but in social media, it is possible to fall into only talking with people who you know all think the same way you do. This leads to a very narrow view of the world, and the inability to have your way of thinking challenged. This is certainly something I myself have fallen into, where when everyone around me agrees with what I have to say because we all think the same or similarly – it leads me to believe that my views are then the most correct. It’s important to engage with many different people who do not experience the world in the same way you do so that you have a broadened understanding. And in doing so, that actually can increase your own understanding of what you believe as your way of thinking gets reinforced by having discussions and explaining your logic to different people.  

This also plays into the need to balance professional expectations and personal beliefs in curating a PLN for career development. If I only surrounded myself with yes-men who never questioned or gave me any kind of feedback – then I would likely get nowhere. A PLN can’t function when it runs more like everyone only lifting up one person. The purpose of a PLN is for mutual learning amongst all those within it, and because of that it is necessary to be aware of the ways in which pushing forward my own personal beliefs and ignoring other people does not aid others nor does it really aid myself either. By creating open dialogues and keeping goals and professional expectations in mind; the entire PLN can grow together. The PLN should say that I am serious about my goals, serious about my contributions, and serious about my dedication – but not at the expense of others within the network. On social media it should be stressed that this is a community; so people who see that will get the impression that we are approachable and welcoming to different ideas, but we also prepared to work to meet goals. In many of my posts I stress the important of balance, and that concept once again comes into play here. Learning how to engage with the community without only putting yourself first is an important step in career development, and will help establish you as someone who listens to others as much as they talk. 

Resources:

Clark J., Aufderheide P. (2011) A New Vision for Public Media. In: Jansen S.C., Pooley J., Taub-Pervizpour L. (eds) Media and Social Justice. Palgrave Macmillan, New York. https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/10.1057/9780230119796_5